In 2011 two people are believed to have died from a brain eating bacteria called amoeba. One of the victims was a 28 year old man and the other was a 58 year old woman. The only thing the victims had in common was the use of a neti pot. Neti pots are tools that are used to clean nasal passages especially when one is congested.
The plumbing at both of the victims homes tested positive for the brain eating bacteria. If this bacteria is ingested it would be killed during digestion process, however when it enters nasal passages through a neti pot, it can survive and kill the host victim. If one contracts amoeba, the survival risk is 1 percent. Ameoba through nasal passages occurred in 123 cases between 1962-2011 and only 1 survived.
I think neti pots are very helpful but one should use distilled water that has been boiled for a few minutes to kill all bacteria prior to use.